Summary of ChangesIn July 2020, two new resources are available:
- concept status with history (/historystatus) resource in the RxNorm API.
- /allconceptsbystatus in the RxNorm API.
The following resources are deprecated:
- The /status resource in the RxNorm API.
- The RxCUI History API is deprecated. This includes the /concept and /status resources.
BackgroundPrior to July 2020, there existed two different set of values representing concept status:
- /status resource in the RxNorm API. Possible status values returned: Active, Alien, Quantified, Remapped, Retired and Unknown
- /concept resource in the RxCUI History API. Possible status values returned: Active, Retired, Never Active, Non-RxNorm and Unknown
Resource DetailsThe /historystatus resource returns history and attribute information about the concept along with a concept status value. Possible status values are:
- Active. The concept is in the current RxNorm data set and has a non-suppressed term (SUPPRESS="N" in RXNCONSO) from the RxNorm vocabulary (SAB="RXNORM" in RXNCONSO).
- Obsolete. The concept is designated as obsolete (SUPRRESS="O" in RXNCONSO) in the current data set.
- Remapped. The concept has been removed from the RXNCONSO file in the curent data set and has been remapped (in RXNATOMARCHIVE) to one or more Active concepts.
- Quantified. The concept has been designated as an unquantified, non-prescribable drug (SUPPRESS="E" in RXNCONSO) in the current data set that has quantified concepts.
- NotCurrent. The concept satifies one of the following conditions:
- The concept exists in the current data set but has no RxNorm vocabulary terms.
- The concept existed in previous monthly versions, but has been removed and is not remapped to any Active concepts.
- Unknown. The RxCUI has never been present in an RxNorm monthly release.
The table below shows the status value comparison between the deprecated /status resource and the new /historystatus resource in the RxNorm API.
|/status value (DEPRECATED)||/historystatus value|
|Alien||NotCurrent or Remapped|
|Retired||Obsolete or NotCurrent|
|Unknown||Unknown or NotCurrent|
The resource /allconceptsbystatus finds all the concepts of a given status (except Unknown).
The /historystatus resource also contains attributes and history information about the concept. Many of these fields were contained in the /concept resource in the deprecated RxCUI History API. However, some additional fields are added and are summarized below.
- Active Start and End Dates. The month and year of the RxNorm version when the concept was active.
- Release Start and End Dates. Then month and year of the RxNorm version when the concept existed in the data set.
- Dose Form Groups (DFG) related to the concept.
- Quantified Concepts. For concepts with a status of Quantified.
- Remapped Concepts. For concepts with a status of Remapped.
- QD-free Concept. For concepts that have a qualitative distinction (QD), this is returned if a similar concept exists without the QD.
For a complete list of the fields returned see the /historystatus resource documentation.