- Function composition. The RxMix interface allows the
user to build a workflow of API functions to execute. This saves
the user from having to write complex programs to handle multiple
function calls. Examples of function composition are contained in
the examples below.
- Batch processing. Through the user interface, RxMix
allows the user to process large amounts of data through the user
defined workflow. The user can provide a file containing a list of
inputs, such as drug names or drug identifiers, for input to the
workflow. RxMix will execute the workflow and offer the results as a zip file.
- Text output. RxMix formats output as bar-delimited text that can be imported into a spreadsheet.
- Interactive mode. RxMix allows users to
interactively test and display the results of the workflow on a
single input value.
Users of the RxMix interface should be familiar with the RxNorm
and/or the RxTerms
RxMix video tutorials:
A Simple Example
This example illustrates the basic operations of the RxMix interface.
In this example, we will build a workflow containing two functions in
order to display concept information associated with a National Drug Code (NDC).
The figure below
shows the initial RxMix page.
main panel is divided up into eight sections.
- Workflow is where the workflow is displayed. The workflow can be loaded from a file or built using the
"Select Funtion" menu.
- Build is where the workflow can be constructed by allowing users to select API functions and add them to
build a workflow.
- Load is where workflows can be imported into RxMix. The "FROM WORKFLOW LIBRARY" button allows the user
to select one workflow from a library of common use cases. The "FROM MY WORKFLOWS" button allows the user
to select a previously saved workflow.
- Input is where the user specifies the input values
needed to run the workflow. The Batch tab allows the
user to run batch jobs on the workflow.
- Output (left side) is where the user specifies the output type
(TEXT or TABLE), and the output filters.
- Execute contains buttons that allows the user the
clear, save or run (interactively) the workflow.
- Documentation contains the descriptions of the functions and the parameters in the APIs used in the workflows
- Output (below documentation) contains the results of the interactive run.
To define a workflow, first click on the arrow at the
right side of the box under Select Function
, and a menu of the
available functions will be displayed like the figure below.
The menu of available functions shows the API
(RxNorm, RxTerms, RxClass, or Interaction) type and the names for each available
Scroll down to the RxNorm API functions and
select the RxNorm API function findRxcuiById
. The build
area is changed to the figure below.
The findRxcuiById function
needs three parameters. The identifier will be specified in
the input data section. The other parameters, id_string and allSourcesFlag, are specified in the
build area. RxMix provides a default value for these fields.
|Note: The documentation for a selected function can
be viewed by positioning the cursor over the help icon .
as the id_string value. Leave the allSourcesFlag parameter as 0
. Click the
Add to Workflow
button to add the function to the workflow. The
workflow area is changed to the figure below.
Notice that a Remove Last
button has appeared below the
workflow diagram. This allows the last function in the workflow to be
The next step is to add the second
function to the workflow. From the function menu under RxNorm, select
Then click on the Add to Workflow
The workflow is changed to the figure below.
The next step is to add the input data. The input for this
workflow needs an NDC. Type in 63323-292-80
in the input box.
The Output Filter lists the fields to be included
in the output. Unselect the UMLSCUI item.
click on the Run Interactive
button in the EXECUTE section to start the
processing. The results will be shown as a table (the output format
selected) in the Output area.
you have created and run your first workflow in RxMix.
The next example will demonstrate the use of batch processing in
RxMix. View the batch example