The APIs and tools are updated monthly following the RxNorm release. The RxNorm release schedule can be found at RxNorm Overview.
October 4, 2021
- Added BoSS_name, Active_ingredient_name, Active_moiety_name, and corresponding RxCUI properties to Semantic Clinical Drugs (SCD), projecting a summary of RxNorm's reorganized Basis of Strength Substance (BoSS) attributes. The properties are available from getAllProperties and getRxProperty. Meanwhile, getRxcuiHistoryStatus remains the API's primary function for RxNorm's BoSS details, and has not changed.
August 2, 2021
- Expanded Disease tree in RxClass to include all MeSH 'Infections' and 'Behavior and Behavior Mechanisms' classes.
July 6, 2021
- On or after October 4, 2021, 'NDFRT' will no longer be accepted as a synonym for 'MEDRT' by the RxClass API. (Medication Reference Terminology (MED-RT) supplanted the discontinued NDF-RT in RxClass in 2018.)
- On or after October 4, 2021, the obsolete function getAllNDCs will be removed from the RxNorm API. Please use getAllHistoricalNDCs instead. getAllNDCs was deprecated in 2016.
June 7, 2021
- On or after August 2, 2021: Query parameters will no longer be echoed in the APIs' responses. Details
April 5, 2021
- Added RxMix to RxNav-in-a-Box.
March 25, 2021
- On or after July 5, 2021: Some 'comment' fields will be removed from the APIs and approximate-match scores will be computed differently, among other changes. Details
November 2, 2020
RxNav (2.9.25), RxMix (2.0.40), APIs (2.9.133):
- Searching by UMLS CUI is no longer available in RxNav or in the RxNorm or Prescribable API (/rxcui?idtype) as the UMLS CUI will not be contained in future RxNorm monthly releases.
October 5, 2020
- Added RxNorm API resource /allNDCstatus
July 6, 2020
RxNav (2.9.21), RxMix (2.0.37), APIs (2.9.121):
- Added NHRIC codes to RxNav and the RxNorm API.
- Added RxNorm API resources /historystatus and /allconceptsbystatus, supplanting the /status resource and the RxcuiHistory API. Those will be removed in January 2021. Details
April 10, 2020
- Clarified XML schemas for the RxNorm, RxTerms, Interaction, RxCUIHistory, and Prescribe APIs.
March 25, 2020
RxClass (3.1.22), RxMix (2.0.31), APIs (2.9.114):
- Added CSA Drug Schedule classes to RxClass. RxNorm generic and branded drug products (term types SCD, SBD, GPCK, BPCK) that contain substances that are regulated under federal law are mapped into the five schedule classes.
March 5, 2020
- Enabled access to SNOMED CT classes in RxMix via the RxClass functions.
January 23, 2020
RxNav, RxClass, RxMix, APIs:
- Increased minimum HTTPS security level to TLS 1.2.
January 6, 2020
- Terminated SOAP access to the APIs. Please use the REST APIs. Details
For Older news, see RxNorm API - News
For the full news archive, see RxNav News Archive