Application Program Interfaces (APIs) are available to users to retrieve data from several drug information sources, including RxNorm, MED-RT and RxTerms. Currently these APIs are available:
- RxNorm API for retrieving data from the RxNorm data set
- Prescribable RxNorm API for retrieving data from the RxNorm Current Prescribable Content
- RxTerms API for retrieving data for the RxTerms data set
- RxClass API for retrieving drug classes and drug members from a number of different drug class types
- Drug Interaction API for accessing drug-drug interactions
The APIs are also available as part of RxNav-in-a-Box, which provides users with a locally-installable version of RxNav, RxClass, and the APIs.
The API resources can also be used interactively or in batch mode with RxMix.
We invite you to develop computer and mobile applications using National Library of Medicine (NLM) resources. We request that any application that makes use of NLM data include the following statement:
"This product uses publicly available data from the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services; NLM is not responsible for the product and does not endorse or recommend this or any other product."
The output of some functions will change, in connection with a new search engine.
API calls that cannot be processed, because of invalid parameters, will result in HTTP error code 400 ("Bad Request").
For details, see API Changes - On or After July 5, 2021.
REST resources (API function results) will no longer echo your query parameters.
For details, see API Changes - On or After August 2, 2021.