You are here
Web Interface: Pico (Patient, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome) Linguist.
Pico (Patient, Intervention, Comparison, and Outcome) Linguist is a multi-language tool for searching NLM's MEDLINE/PubMed. PICO Linguist has the following features:
- It is intended for users whose native languages is not English.
- It uses PICO’s interface, which has a fill-in-the-blank interface for specifying a condition or disease, a single intervention or treatment, multiple interventions or treatments that are to be compared (optional), and an outcome (also optional), plus a dropdown menu for selecting publication type from among clinical trial, meta-analysis, randomized controlled trial, systematic reviews, reviews, and practice guideline or, if none is specific, any of the above.
- Queries can be submitted as single terms or complex phrases in one of the languages listed below.
- The search interface changes to allow search terms to be entered in the chosen language.
- Typing accents or other diacritical marks is optional.
- Queries are transformed into English. Results are MEDLINE/PubMed citations published in any one or more of the listed languages, as specified by the user.
- Links to full-text articles, if available for free, are included in the search results.
PICO Linguist is available through the BabelMeSH Web Interface ( http://babelmesh.nlm.nih.gov ) and through BabelMeSH for the individual languages:
It is also available at the main screen of PubMed for Handhelds ( http://pubmedhh.nlm.nih.gov ).