You are here
Medical Informatics Pioneers
Oral history is a method for documenting history in a vivid way by recording the voices of those who have experienced it.
Beginning in 2004, Drs. Joan S. Ash and Dean F. Sittig chose and interviewed seventeen medical informatics pioneers to capture their memories.
In 2013, NLM acquired the transcripts from the first 15 interviews and began work to make them publicly available, including recruiting and placing photographs to enliven the written words.
We are pleased to begin to make these conversations available to you.
Click on the names to download the published oral histories.
Medical Informatics Pioneers*
Joan S. Ash, PhD, MLS, MBA and Dean F. Sittig, PhD
Publication dates: 4/14/2015; Updated 9/4/15
G. Octo Barnett, MD
Interview date: 10/29/2004
Publication dates: 4/24/2015; Updated 9/4/15
Homer R. Warner, MD, PhD (1922-2012)
Interview date: 5/24/2005
Publication dates: 4/17/2015; Updated 9/4/15
Donald A.B. Lindberg, MD
Interview dates: 6/1/2005 and 7/13/2005
Publication dates: 3/26/2015; Updated 9/4/15
Nina W. Matheson, ML, DSc
Interview date: 7/14/2005
Publication dates: 6/30/2015; Updated 9/4/15
Morris F. Collen, MD
Interview date: 8/1/2005
Publication dates: 9/30/2014; Updated 9/4/15
Don E. Detmer, MD
Interview date: 1/21/2006
Publication dates: 6/30/2015; Updated 9/4/15
- Related Oral History Collections and Exhibitions
- American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI). Morris F. Collen Award of Excellence Recipients [Video Tributes and JAMIA articles]. https://www.amia.org/programs/acmi-fellowship
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA). Nursing Informatics History Project. http://www.amia.org/working-groups/nursing-informatics/history-project.
- Medical Library Association (MLA) Oral History Project. https://www.mlanet.org/about/history/oral-history-project
- Rutgers University Medical Informatics History Project. http://infohistory.rutgers.edu/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America’s women physicians. 2003. Available at: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/changingthefaceofmedicine/.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine History of Medicine Division Archives and Modern Manuscript Program. Oral History Collections. US Natl Libr Med. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/manuscripts/oh.html.
- FOCUS Eye Care in Haiti and Nigeria from 1961-1996, by James E. McDonald, MD. Firsthand journal accounts, photographs, and memoir about establishing a voluteer ophthalmology medical and surgical eye service in Haiti and later in Nigeria called FOCUS (Foreign Ophthalmological Care from the United States). E-book (1st edition 2010 edited by Ron Fishman, MD; 2nd edition 2014 edited by Clem McDonald, Jr., MD).
Tips for Conducting Oral History Interviews
- The Library of Congress, The American Folklife Center. Oral History Interviews. http://www.loc.gov/folklife/familyfolklife/oralhistory.html
- Oral History Association. Principles and Best Practices. http://www.oralhistory.org/about/principles-and-practices/
Publications based on the Conversations with Medical Informatics Pioneers oral history collection
Sittig DF, Ash JS, Ledley RS. The story behind the development of the first whole-body computerized tomography scanner as told by Robert S. Ledley. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006 Sep-Oct;13(5):465-9. Epub 2006 Jun 23.PMID:16799115 PMCID: PMC1561796 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16799115
West RT. IAIMS: an interview with Dick West. Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems. Interview by Joan S Ash and Frances E Johnson. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1999 Nov-Dec;6(6):447-56.PMID:10579603 PMCID: PMC61388 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10579603
Wright A, Sittig DF, McGowan J, Ash JS, Weed LL. Bringing science to medicine: an interview with Larry Weed, inventor of the problem-oriented medical record. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014 Nov-Dec;21(6):964-8. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2014-002776. Epub 2014 May 28. PMID: 24872343 PMCID: PMC4215056 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24872343
Additional oral histories coming soon: Clement J. McDonald, MD, Anthony L. Komaroff, Robert S. Ledley, DDS, Reed M. Gardner, PhD, William Edward Hammond, PhD, Thomas Lincoln, Donald W. Simborg, Lawrence Weed, MD, Howard L. Bleich, MD, Warner V. Slack, MD, Betsy Humphreys, MLS
*Published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2014-2015.
Government information at NLM Web sites is in the public domain. Public domain information may be freely distributed and copied, but it is requested that in any
subsequent use the National Library of Medicine (NLM) be given appropriate acknowledgement.
Suggested citation style:
Ash JS, Sittig DF. “Origins of these Conversations with Medical Informatics Pioneers,” Conversations with Medical Informatics Pioneers: An oral history project. Ash JS, Sittig DF, interviewers. Goodwin RM, Ash JS, Sittig DF, editors. Bethesda: U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM); 2015. Available from: http://lhncbc.nlm.nih.gov/project/medical-informatics-pioneers
When using NLM Web sites, you may encounter documents, illustrations, photographs, or other information resources contributed or licensed by private individuals, companies, or organizations that may be protected by U.S. and foreign copyright laws. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use as defined in the copyright laws requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Specific NLM Web sites containing protected information provide additional notification of conditions associated with its use.
**Content distributed via the NLM Conversations with Medical Informatics Pioneers Oral History Project may be subject to additional license and use restrictions applied by the depositor.
Oral History Interviews
Editors: Rebecca M. Goodwin, Joan S. Ash, and Dean F. Sittig
Interviewers: Joan S. Ash and Dean F. Sittig
Managing Editor: Rebecca M. Goodwin
Copy Editing: Cindy Allen
Design & Layout: Troy HIll, Bona Kim, John Harrington and Anne Altemus
Photo Editing: Troy Hill and Sandy Triolo
Photo Captions: Nina Matheson, Patti Brennan, Kathy Cravedi, Pat Carson, Fran Sandridge, Betsy Humphreys, Don Lindberg, Don Detmer, Marie Gallagher, Ed Hammond, Clem McDonald and Rebecca Goodwin.
Deeds of Gift: Rebecca Warlow, John Rees and Jeff Reznick
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org