Paul Fontelo, MD, MPH
Applied Clinical Informatics Branch
Expertise and Research Interests:
Dr. Fontelo has been a Staff Scientist with the LHNCBC Office of High Performance Computing and Communications for more than ten years. He also serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Biomedical Informatics Department of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS). He is Board Certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
His research interests include medical informatics training, telemedicine/telepathology/mHealth, digital pathology, molecular pathology, global health, Information access at the point of care and in low-resource areas, evidence-based medicine, mobile health, hematology, critical appraisal of the literature, translational research, and geographic medicine.
Dr. Fontelo is a retired Army pathologist. His last assignment was at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, where he was the Chief of Telepathology and Staff Pathologist in the Department of Gastrointestinal Pathology. Prior to that he was Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology at USUHS, where he was Course Director for a number of years. He has also had numerous assignments in research and hospital pathology, including in Belgium.
- MD, University of the Philippines, College of Medicine
- Master of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- Diplomate, American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical Pathology)
- Medical license: District of Columbia
- Adjunct Professor in Medical Informatics, University of the Philippines, College of Medicine
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Honors and Awards:
- 2021 NIH Director's Award for your outstanding accomplishments as a member of the Trans-NIH Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Initiative Leadership Team, "For exemplary leadership in launching and developing the Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC) Initiative".
- 2020 National Institutes of Health Director’s Award for Mentoring
- 1997 Outstanding Overseas Alumni Educator, University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines
- 1991-1992 Outstanding Teacher Award, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD
Publications:London SD, Chamut S, Fontelo P, Iafolla T, Dye BA. Assessment of the Quality of Current American Dental Association Clinical Practice Guidelines. JDR Clin Trans Res. 2022 Apr 2:23800844221083563. doi: 10.1177/23800844221083563.
London SD, Fontelo P, Boroumand S, Dye BA. COVID-19 provides an opportunity for integration of dentistry into the health informatics system. J Am Dent Assoc. 2022 Jan;153(1):3-8. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2021.11.003. Epub 2021 Nov 18.
Ben-Omran MO, Livinski AA, Kopycka-Kedzierawski DT, Boroumand S, Williams D, Weatherspoon DJ, Iafolla TJ, Fontelo P, Dye BA. The use of teledentistry in facilitating oral health for older adults: A scoping review. J Am Dent Assoc. 2021 Dec;152(12):998-1011.e17. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2021.06.005. Epub 2021 Sep 11.
McCall T, Ali MO, Yu F, Fontelo P, Khairat S. Development of a Mobile App to Support Self-management of Anxiety and Depression in African American Women: Usability Study. JMIR Form Res. 2021 Aug 17;5(8):e24393. doi: 10.2196/24393.