Jim Mork, MS
Applied Clinical Informatics Branch
Expertise and Research Interests:
Mr. Mork is currently the lead developer and technical project lead for the Medical Text Indexer (MTI) project. The MTI project is a multi-divisional team developing the MTI program to assist indexers and catalogers in assigning keywords to over 600,000 biomedical related articles and books each year. Mr. Mork’s research interests include information retrieval, natural language processing, and extracting information from biomedical literature.
Mr. Mork received his BS in Computer Science from Central Michigan University in 1984 and his MS in Computer Science from The Johns Hopkins University in 1988.
Mr. Mork’s previous experiences at Rapid Systems Solutions, Inc., Century Computing, Inc., VisionQuest Consulting, Inc., and previous Government employment have covered most aspects of Computer Science and Project Leadership. His main focus has been on Rapid Application Prototyping.
Honors and Awards:
- 2021 – NLM Board of Regents Award recipient
- 2021 – Multiple Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement Individual and Group Awards
- 2020 – Multiple Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement Individual and Group Awards
- 2019 - Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement Group Award
- 2018 – NIH Merit Award
- 2017 - Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement Group Award
- 2017 - Quality Step Increase for Sustained High Quality Work Performance
- 2016 - Frank B. Rogers Award recipient
- 2015 - Library Operations Choice Awards Certificate of Appreciation
- 2015 - Quality Step Increase for Sustained High Quality Work Performance
- 2014 - Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement
- 2013 - Library Operations Choice Awards Certificate of Appreciation
- 2011 - Exceptional Service by a Contractor for Medical Text Indexer First Line Prototype development
- 2011 – Special Act or Service Award for MTI as First Line Indexer Development and Pilot Production Project
- 2009 – Exceptional Service by a Contractor for Medical Text Indexer Catalog support
- 2008 – Special Act or Service Award for Medical Text Indexer Catalog support
- 2008 – Letter of Appreciation for Office of Director NIH Biennial Report support
Publications:Le D, Mork J. Check Tags MeSH Terms Indexing Research Project. A report to the Applied Clinical Informatics Branch.
Lu CJ, Payne A, Mork J. Enhancing The SPECIALIST Lexicon with WordNet. AMIA 2022 Annual Symposium, Nov. 5-9, 2022.
Lu CJ, Payne A, Mork J. Identifying Criteria for Antonym Generation from Corpora. AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium, Oct. 30 - Nov. 3, 2021, p.1734.
Le DX, Mork JG, Antani S. Hybrid Ensemble-Rule Algorithm for Improved MEDLINE® Sentence Boundary Detection. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceeding 2021;2021:677-686.