Jim Mork, MS
Applied Clinical Informatics Branch
Building 38A - Lister Hill Center, 7S704
Expertise and Research Interests:
Mr. Mork is currently the lead developer and technical project lead for the Medical Text Indexer (MTI) project. The MTI project is a multi-divisional team developing the MTI program to assist indexers and catalogers in assigning keywords to over 600,000 biomedical related articles and books each year. Mr. Mork’s research interests include information retrieval, natural language processing, and extracting information from biomedical literature.
Mr. Mork received his BS in Computer Science from Central Michigan University in 1984 and his MS in Computer Science from The Johns Hopkins University in 1988.
Mr. Mork’s previous experiences at Rapid Systems Solutions, Inc., Century Computing, Inc., VisionQuest Consulting, Inc., and previous Government employment have covered most aspects of Computer Science and Project Leadership. His main focus has been on Rapid Application Prototyping.
Honors and Awards:
- 2016 - Frank B. Rogers Award recipient.
- 2015 - Library Operations Choice Awards Certificate of Appreciation for completing the study and policy change proposals to add preliminary MeSH indexing to In-Process citations to improve PubMed retrieval.
- 2015 - Quality Step Increase for Sustained High Quality Work Performance.
- 2014 - Recognition and Appreciation of Special Achievement for normalization of section headers within the MEDLINE structured abstracts.
- 2013 - Library Operations Choice Awards Certificate of Appreciation for implementing an automated indexing process for the NLM Technical Bulletin.
- 2011 - Exceptional Service by a Contractor for Medical Text Indexer First Line Prototype development.
- 2011 – Special Act or Service Award for MTI as First Line Indexer Development and Pilot Production Project.
- 2009 – Exceptional Service by a Contractor for Medical Text Indexer Catalog support.
- 2008 – Special Act or Service Award for Medical Text Indexer Catalog support.
- 2008 – Letter of Appreciation for Office of Director NIH Biennial Report support.
Publications:Lu CJ, Payne A, Mork JG The Unified Medical Language System SPECIALIST Lexicon and Lexical Tools: Development and applications. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2020 May 29;27(10):1600-1605. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocaa056.
Lu CJ, Payne A, Mork JG Enhanced Features in the SPECIALIST Lexicon - Antonyms. AMIA 2020 Virtual Annual Symposium, November 14-18, 2020.
Savery M, Rogers W, Pillai M, Mork JG, Demner-Fushman D Chemical Entity Recognition for MEDLINE Indexing. AMIA 2020 Virtual Informatics Summit, 2020.
Rae A, Savery M, Mork JG, Demner-Fushman D A High Recall Classifier for Selecting Articles for MEDLINE Indexing. AMIA Fall Symposium, 2019.